Thursday, June 23, 2011

Clara B. Mounce Public Library

Jarrod and Peyton joined me on my trip to Bryan's public library yesterday.  My mom and my nephew, Brawley, came along as well.  From the outside, it looks like there hasn't been much change to the library since the days when I went there as a kid.  The big bell that was so much fun to ring still sits out in front of the rectangular, two-story building.  Oh, but it does bear a new name now; it's now called the Clara B. Mounce Public Library.
  














Upon entering the library, everything felt so familiar.  The biggest change I noticed to the first floor is the addition of computers.  The circulation desk looks a little more modern than what I remember it looking like.  I spotted on self-checkout machine located on the circulation desk.









After a looking over the first floor, Brawley quickly led us up the stairs to the children's area.  I am so happy to see him excited about visiting the library.  We found an open computer and I showed him how to look up books using the online catalog.  After locating a couple of books, I showed him where to find graphic novels since I remembered him telling me that he liked to read them.  He ended up taking home about four graphic novels, one "I Spy" book and a chapter book to read.



While I was helping Brawley, Jarrod did a little exploring and found a small area with computers set up for Internet use.  Next to the computer area was a small area set aside for teens.  I don't know if this spot has always been here, but I have a feeling it is somewhat new.  The space is a little hard to find, and not quite as elaborate as the teen room we visited at the Houston Public Library.  Mismatched furniture and the room's location made me feel like they were just kind of throwing teens in the corner, as far away from everyone else as possible.  I appreciate the attempt to set aside a spot for young adults and their literature, but the room just felt a bit odd to me.  I also noticed something that I have not seen in any library that I've recently visited.  On one of the walls in the teen room was a sign that said "Quiet Zone!"  Really?  There was one near the computer area as well.  I understand wanting it to be quiet near the computers for those doing research, but I don't think the teen area needs a "Quiet Zone!" sign.  In fact, I've come to expect a little bit of noise when I visit libraries.  I think patrons feel a little more at ease about asking for help when they are not expected to be "quiet."  Anyway, I just think the sign may turn some teens away or make them feel uncomfortable.
  
 



I enjoyed my visit to the Clara B. Mounce Public Library in Bryan.  It was great reminiscing and seeing what kind of changes had been made to prepare the library for 21st century information services.  Some changes in the teen area would make the library much more inviting to young adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment