Sunday, June 26, 2011

Tyrell Historical Library

The Tyrrell Historical Library is located in the museum district of downtown Beaumont.  The building that houses the library was originally a church, built in 1903.  It is beautiful!  The stained glass windows are incredible.  I would have never guesses that it was a library.  Luckily, Ms. Vicki, who works at the Texas Energy Museum, told me about the library and recommended that I check it out.  I'm so glad that I did.

 


 

 








The Tyrell Historical Library specializes in Texas history and genealogy.  The Texas history collection contains biographies of Texans as well as fiction written by Texans.  Among other things, you can find city directories and yearbooks, bound periodicals about Texas history and genealogy, and an impressive art book collection.  The library offers free use of genealogy websites such as Ancestry and Heritage Quest.  Microfilm   The library also has a new digital collection that can be accessed via the Internet. 

I was hoping to be able to see some of the Spindletop documents that Ms. Vicki said was housed on the second floor, but when I asked the lady at the front desk about them she told me the library was about to close and didn't offer to tell me where to find what I wanted.  We had an hour until closing time, but I guess she thought I wanted to start some deep research or something.  ???  So, I spent the hour snooping around the genealogy section, which is located in a new building attached to the main building.  Jarrod played around on one of the genealogy websites and my mom looked around the collection in the main building.  When it was time to go, I found Peyton laying on big leather couch.  She said this library was boring to her, and wanted to stop at another one that had a children's books.  It had been a long day, so I promised to take her to our local library soon.

I would love to go back to Beaumont some day when I have more time to devote to genealogy research.  I want to learn more about my grandfather and Beaumont seems like a good place to start.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping their genealogy databases are available for off-campus use.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment