Monday, June 27, 2011

Virtual Tour - Library of Congress

The website for the Library of Congress is LOADED with information, so much so that I keep getting sidetracked as I click away, looking to see what kinds of information I can find.  The "Digital Collection" that can be accessed by a link near the top of the page, leads you to online resources that everyone can use...for free!  One of those digital collections is called "Historic Newspapers."  This is where I found digital copies of the Houston Post during the time of Spindletop.  I searched for my grandfather's name and found one result.  On June 3, 1901, Shelby Goodman (highlighted in pink) of Corsicana is listed under hotel arrivals at The Lawlor.  How cool is that?!  Can you imagine all the work that goes in to making all the words, of all those newspapers, searchable?  I want to dig more, but I need to finish this assignment.  I can not wait to see what else I can find!

More about the website....

The home page for the Library of Congress has a section called "Collection Highlights."  I've already mentioned one part of the collection, but here are all of them...
  • American Memory
  • Prints and Photographs
  • Historic Newspapers
  • Performing Arts
  • Veterans History
  • Sound Recordings
  • Films
  • Maps
  • Manuscripts
"Featured Webcasts" are listed directly under the featured collections.  And, directly below the webcasts is an Explore and Discover section.  In this section, I clicked on the "Today in History" link which led to two stories linked to today's date.  Within each story were MANY links to other information.  I'm telling you, the information NEVER stops coming on this website!

Going back to the homepage, I clicked on a link that is located on the left-hand tool bar titled, "More About the Library."  An interesting fact I found was that since the library's establishment in 1800, there have only been 13 librarians, and they have all been males.

The right toolbar offers links to "Resources and Programs" as well as "Services."  One service that I may find useful as a librarian is the "Cataloging Services."  The amount of information provided is overwhelming, but it's good to know it's there.

I could go on about all the cool things you can find on the LOC website, but everyone should just experience it for themselves.  Classroom and personal use possibilities are endless.  I know there are too many people out there that have no idea that all these resources are available to them.  Until I began the MLS program, I didn't know it existed either.  So, if you haven't already, click on this link to the Library of Congress's website...but, don't do it unless you have a lot of time to play, because you will want to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment